top of page

Family Law

We firmly believe that the vast majority of couples, if given the chance, would prefer to resolve their matters without going to court. Unfortunately, we find that many lawyers take the opposite approach. They write long, combative letters to the other parties' solicitor that agitate and inflame matters rather than work together to solve their client's problems.


If you are the type of person who wants to drag your partner into court, then we are not the law firm for you. However, if you are the type of person who would like to use: -


  • Negotiation

  • Collaboration

  • Mediation

  • Arbitration


to achieve a fair resolution, then we may be the right law firm for you.


(And don't worry if you are not sure what collaboration or arbitration means, we will happily discuss what these different types of dispute resolution methods are and when to use them.)




Applying for a divorce can be done before, during or after resolving parenting and property matters.


We can assist you with an application for divorce either as a stand alone application or included as part of an overall resolution of your parenting and property matters.


There are some important time frames to keep in mind when considering applying for a divorce. You also need to know if you are making a joint or sole application for divorce.


If you have questions about applying for a divorce, contact our office and we will assist you.

Property Settlement

Most lawyers view property settlement in terms of who gets what percentage of the assets. But property settlements are not just about dividing assets between you and your former partner.


We see a property settlement as an opportunity to review your current and future financial arrangements and take advantage of the many benefits afforded by the family law act in relation to duties,  taxes and superannuation.


In our experience, an early assessment of your current financial circumstances and a commitment to resolving matters out of court are the key to a successful outcome.





Need a BFA?

Clients often call us and say "Hey, I need a BFA." This is usually because someone has told them that they need a BFA in order to obtain a loan or some other financial arrangement. A BFA (Binding Financial Agreement) is one method for documenting a final property settlement. If someone has told you that you need a BFA, contact our office and we can help you. 

Child Support

Most people leave the collection of child support to the Child Support Agency. We prefer to help clients take advantage of the many benefits of private child support agreements where appropriate.


Private child support agreements offer more flexibility and can  result in more after tax income for the paying parent after paying their child support liability.  

bottom of page